Wednesday, 25 July 2012

This Voyage

I believe that this particular journey is a voyage of discovery. But how to communicate that discovery, how to share it with others? A participant in a discovery such as this will feel none of the elation and contentment found by a mathematician whose discovery can be satisfactorily demonstrated to his colleagues, nor any of that found in a doctor or a scientist whose breakthrough will soon make itself felt in the world. The experience of discovery such as I am describing is rather more like the loneliness of a person who has climbed to a mountain peak and sees spread out around him the most beautiful panoramic vision and vista and finds it completely impossible to describe that vision, or even to discuss it, except with someone who agrees to climb that peak with him (Vincent J. Donovan, Christianity Rediscovered, pg. 2).


I cannot claim to feel the exact feelings of Friar Donovan however, my feelings come close. The experiences that I have been through these past 12 weeks- breathtaking and exhausting as they are- have been some of the best of my life. I have lived with these people; I have cried with them, laughed with them, worked with them, worshiped with them, and prayed with them. I have taken care of their children, taught dozens of kids, marked hundreds of exams, and have never enjoyed myself more. No amount of explaining will be able to scratch the surface of what I have felt these last months. But I hope that through reading these blogs and stories, you will begin to understand a little of what I have experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment